Eight years ago, before my husband and I started having children, our dinner menu looked so much more different than it does today. For starters, we ate out more. When we stayed in to cook at home our meals were more diverse in texture, flavor, and ethnicity. We weren’t focused on keeping our meals light either.
Now a days we try to eat healthier and tend to stick to simpler and more familiar flavors and textures that we know won’t end up in the trash. The truth is, our former eating patterns have changed since we had children because they are picky eaters.
It’s not their fault. Children are just naturally more sensitive to new flavors and textures due to their young palates. Interestingly enough however, my children have developed a love for seafood, including smoked salmon. I’m so grateful for this because I need all the help I can get when it comes to preparing lighter meals; especially on hot days.
Recently I prepared smoked salmon bagel sandwiches for lunch when my 5-year-old son came up to me and asked me for a slice of salmon. I gladly wrapped a small piece around a slice of queso fresco and handed it to him with the hope that he would like it since I’ve never given it to him that way in the past. He loved it!
We kept their sandwiches simple with plain crema, queso fresco, and salmon. To mine and my husband’s I added tomato, basil, and a roasted red pepper crema for the spread. It was a light and divine lunch.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 red bell pepper
- ¾ cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana Agria
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 ounces smoked salmon
- Ranchero® Queso Fresco slices
- 1 tomato cut into thin half slices
- Fresh basil leaves
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Roast bell pepper over medium heat on a nonstick pan for 15-20 minutes turning every 4-5 minutes until skin is mostly charred. Place in bowl, cover with plastic wrap to steam 10 more minutes. Remove stem, seeds, and charred skin. Chop into smaller pieces. Blend with a hand blender until smooth. Add crema, chives, and garlic salt. Blend with hand blender again until smooth.
- Build sandwich starting with a dollop of the red pepper crema on toasted bagel slices, followed by remaining ingredients in layers.