Solterito is a Peruvian salad that is perfect for eating al fresco during the summer months. The basic recipe is cheap, quick, and easy to make. Many chefs typically use whatever ingredients they have at hand to make this dish, so there are as many versions of it. However, this salad is usually made with potatoes, fava beans, Andean corn, rocoto –a very hot chili pepper from the Andes-, queso fresco, black olives, and a simple dressing made with olive oil and vinegar. I adore this version, but feel free to make a different version. You can add shrimp, scallops, grains, or even sweet potatoes.
I like to change things up a bit and add cooked quinoa to this salad because it’s delicious and good for my health. Instead of the giant kernel corn from Cusco, I often use regular sweet corn. Cacique® Queso Enchilado goes really well in place of the fiery rocoto and mild queso fresco. I love its flavor and perfect amount of heat; and it adds a wonderful texture to this dish. For this recipe I used green peas instead of the fava beans.
I’ve also spruced up the dressing to keep things interesting by using Cacique® Crema Mexicana and Dijon mustard. They give this salad a new layer of flavor and creaminess. If you want to add even more taste, sprinkle some chives or any other herb you love on top.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 ½ cup cooked quinoa
- 1 ½ cup green peas, cooked in boiling salted water for 3 minutes
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- 1-cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1 ½ cup sweet corn, cooked
- 1 cup Cacique® Queso Enchilado, diced
- ½ cup bell peppers, finely diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup black olives, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- For the Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons white or red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Combine the quinoa, green peas, onion, cherry tomatoes, corn, Cacique® Queso Enchilado and bell peppers in a salad bowl. Season with salt and pepper and add the black olives and parsley. Pour the dressing on top and stir well. Serve at room temperature or slightly cold.
- In a small bowl combine vinegar, salt and pepper, mustard, and Cacique® Crema Mexicana. Whisk with a wire whisk until creamy. Slowly add the olive oil, until the dressing is thick and the ingredients are well incorporated. Keep refrigerated until ready to use. Before serving add the chopped parsley.