Fall has arrived around here, with its colors and the weather clearly indicating that we are getting closer to the end of the year already. However, it’s precisely around this time of year that I really enjoy cooking at home, because there are many celebrations and holidays, and it’s a great opportunity to develop new and traditional recipes.
I am very happy that I have the chance now to work with Cacique, a company that has a broad product line, such as cheeses, creams and others. And this time I wanted to create a dish that is great for Thanksgiving dinner, a simple idea, easy to prepare, and I’m sure that your guests or family will be happy with enjoying an alternative from the usual or traditional dishes. At this dinner, not only the turkey will be mainly featured, but also the side dishes.
As you can see, I selected traditional Thanksgiving ingredients, such as spinach and sweet potato, but at the same time with a mixture of Cacique® products, which will give a different touch to this preparation.
What I like most about Cacique® products is the variety of cheeses that we can use, allowing us to provide more taste or a more consistent texture to a particular preparation. That is why I chose Cacique® Cotija, because it is absolutely delicious, and the Cacique® Quesadilla cheese will give the texture that this recipe requires, reaching the necessary consistency in the oven. With regards to the sweet potato slices, it will take no more than 20 minutes for them to be properly cooked, and they will give the final touch to this dish.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 onion, cut in julienne
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 of a jalapeno pepper, cut into small squares
- 500 grams (17 oz) of fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup of Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 1/4 cup of Cacique® Cotija cheese, plus more for garnishing
- 3/4 cup of Cacique® Queso Quesadilla cheese
- 2 tablespoons of sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons of dried cranberries
- 1 sweet potato cut into thin slices
- Salt and pepper to taste
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Heat oil in a skillet. Sauté the onion for about 4 minutes. Stir in garlic and jalapeño pepper. Add spinach and let reduce for about two minutes. Add crema, cheeses, almonds and cranberries and season with salt and pepper. Let this mix cook for another minute.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare baking casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Pour spinach mix into prepared casserole dish. Cover the entire surface of the spinach mix with sweet potato slices and bake for 18 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with Cacique® Cotija Cheese (cut into small pieces), if desired. Bake for another minute or until cheese begin to soften.