This time of year there is a special aroma of sweetness in the air for a couple of important reasons. First of all, May is the month that we celebrate Mother’s Day, both in the U.S. and in Mexico. It’s a time where we recognize and honor the women in our lives who gave us life. Secondly, to kick off strawberry season, May has been recognized as National Strawberry Month. All of this attention on fresas has made me nostalgic, taking me back to when I was a little girl, on one of my many road trips to Mexico.
I fondly remember barreling down the carreteras with my father at the wheel who would stop at nothing to get to his final destination for a brief visit with his family that he left behind as a young man. There was only one thing (or person!) that could stop him in his tracks, and that of course, was my mother. As we passed the baskets of sweet smelling strawberries off of the Mexican highways in Irapuato, my mother would gently urge my father to make a pit stop so that I could indulge in the strawberry capital of Mexico’s tasty treasure, fresas con crema.
Today as a mother myself I enjoy visits to my hometown of Chino where I can purchase crates of freshly grown strawberries with my son Amado who inspires me to experiment with creative and healthful recipes. With an eye looking ahead to summer and a glance at the past, I have created a fresas con crema paleta for my Amado to indulge his own little sweet tooth.
Healthful eating has always been a part of our daily lives, which is why I incorporated the super trendy chia seed into my paletas. They add a nutritional punch of protein, antioxidants, and omega-3s while Mexican vanilla imparts rich woody notes to the crema. Having grown up exposed to Cacique® products it is only natural that I use Cacique’s Crema Mexicana and Strawberry Yogurt Smoothie as the primary ingredients for this delightful recipe. Cheers to road trips, our mothers, and all of life’s special treats that lie ahead on the horizons of tomorrow!
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 8 ounces of strawberries (about 10 medium-sized strawberries), stems removed
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 7-ounce Cacique® Strawberry Yogurt Smoothie
- 8 ounces Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 1 Mexican vanilla bean (or 1 teaspoon pure Mexican vanilla extract)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 10 additional small strawberries for garnish on popsicle sticks (optional, raspberries also work well)
- Popsicle molds
- Wooden popsicle sticks
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Slice 10 strawberries and put them in a bowl. Add sugar, mix, and cover. Set aside for 1 hour to allow berries to soften and release their natural sugars, lightly mixing every 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix Strawberry Cacique® Yogurt Smoothie, Cacique® Crema Mexicana Table Cream, and chia seeds in a separate bowl. Cut vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape seeds into the cream mixture. Mix well.
- Once the sliced strawberries have macerated, divide them equally into the popsicle molds, reserving the liquid.
- Add the reserved liquid from the strawberries into the yogurt mixture and mix well.
- Pour yogurt mixture into popsicle molds.
- Skewer strawberries onto the ends of popsicle sticks, leaving at least one inch of space on the bottom. Place popsicle sticks into the molds with the berry facing up.
- Freeze for at least 8 hours or overnight.