Isn’t this salad pretty? Yes, it tastes as good as it looks!
Strawberry season is one of my favorite times of year. Fortunately, here in Southern California the season is long. I’m able to get fresh strawberries for all but a couple months of the year. I was excited when I saw the huge display of fresh berries at my local grocery store this week.
As a vegetarian and lover of fresh produce, I’m always looking for delicious ways to turn a salad into a balanced meal. By adding Ranchero® Queso Fresco and Cacique® Cotija Cheese, I get protein and other nutrients in addition to the nutrition from the fresh fruit and veggies. The combination of flavors and textures are wonderful together.
The salad is quick and easy to make even if you are in a rush to get dinner on the table. This recipe works well as a meal for my family. If you’re having a crowd over for dinner, throwing a party or tailgating, it’s easy to double or triple the recipe and prepare it ahead of time. Just wait until you’re ready to serve to add in the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and cotija topping.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 Head Romaine Lettuce, chopped
- 1 Pint Strawberries, stemmed and chopped
- 1 pkg Cacique® Ranchero® Queso Fresco (10 ounces), cubed
- 2 Small Cucumbers, sliced
- 1 Mexican Onion (or 2 Green Onions), chopped
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Mint Leaves
- 3T Balsamic Vinegar
- 1T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Cacique® Cotija Cheese, crumbled
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Combine lettuce, strawberries, queso fresco, cucumbers, onion, and mint in a large bowl. Toss gently.
- Add balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Toss again. Top with crumbled cotija cheese.