For any special occasion, a Carlota (or Charlotte Russe) is a dessert that will impress your guests. It’s beautiful to look at, is refreshing and delicious, and is perfect for all summer gatherings.
I grew up eating it, my mother used to make it with cream, this version is less heavy thanks to the Cacique® yogurt smoothies. You can use any flavor of yogurt you wish, but try to match it to the fruit on top, so the flavors complement each other.
Also remember to chop the fruit in pieces that make cutting the cake easy, and always keep it refrigerated.
For the outside, use lady fingers cookies, you can find them in the Latino or International isle, I see them in the Italian section a lot because they are also used to make tiramisu.
I hope you enjoy this traditional Latino dessert, I love having some No Bake dessert alternatives for the hot summer days.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- ¼ cup of water
- 2 cups of Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 4 teaspoon of gelatin powder
- 1 cup of Cacique® Mango Yogurt Smoothie
- 1 cup of Cacique® Strawberry Yogurt Smoothie
- 1 box of Lady fingers cookies (24 cookies)
- 1 box of strawberries washed
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Place the water and gelatin powder in a small saucepan. Stir and let the gelatin soak for 5 minutes.
- Beat the cream with a hand mixer until hard peaks form. Set the saucepan over low-heat and let the gelatin dissolve completely. Let it cool slightly. With hand mixer on medium speed, add gelatin and beat until fully incorporated. Split the cream in half and mix one of the halves with mango smoothie, and the other half with strawberry smoothie.
- On a round 9” spring form pan, pour a thin layer of the strawberry cream. Arrange the ladyfingers all around sides of cake mold. Add a layer of the remaining strawberry cream, then the mango cream. Smooth the top and refrigerate for 4 hours to overnight to set
- Remove spring from pan ring and carefully decorate with a ribbon by tying it around the outer side of the Carlota. Top with fresh fruit and serve immediately.