As much as I enjoy spending time in the kitchen, busy schedules usually mean that I need to choose meals that don’t take too much time to prepare. Most nights I’ve got hungry kids hovering as I rush to get dinner done. I often turn to time saving one pot meals that can be prepared quickly and served in a bowl. This helps me get dinner on the table faster and also makes clean up a lot easier.
Whether you are a strict vegetarian or someone who has occasional vegetarian meals by participating in Meatless Monday or simply reducing meat consumption, there is no need to do without flavor. I’m a vegetarian and my family eats meat. Sometimes I serve them meat on the side, but with protein rich meals like this pumpkin stew they are perfectly satisfied with a meat-free meal.
Cacique® Crema Mexicana is something I recently discovered. I had incorrectly assumed that it was a sour cream, but it isn’t. This is a rich and thick table cream that doesn’t have any sourness to it at all. It blends in with this stew perfectly giving it a creamy texture and the delicious flavor of dairy.
The Vegetarian Pumpkin Stew was an instant favorite in my house. I love how easy it is to make something that is nutritious and satisfying.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Small Brown Onion, Chopped
- 3 15 ounce cans of Garbanzo Beans (Chick Peas)
- 1/2 cup Cilantro, Chopped
- 1 Mexican Onion, Chopped
- 2 T Garlic, Minced
- 1 T Ginger, Minced
- Cacique® Cotija Cheese
- 1 15 ounce can Pumpkin Puree
- 3/4 cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- Salt to Taste
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Heat oil in a skillet on high. Add brown onions and saute until translucent.
- Reduce heat to low and add garbanzo beans, cilantro, Mexican onion, garlic and ginger. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add pumpkin and cream. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Top with crumbled Cotija Cheese and serve.