Arepas with Beef and Mushrooms
WHAT YOU NEED
- 4 cups pre-cooked corn flour
- 3 cups of water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cups Cacique® Ranchero® Queso Fresco or Cacique® Panela Cheese, grated
- 1 pound flank or skirt steak
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 1 Tablespoon Soy sauce or steak sauce
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley or cilantro
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a bowl, mix the corn flour, water, salt, and sugar. Knead and add water as needed. Continue kneading while adding butter and the grated cheese. Form balls approximately the size of your fist and then flatten between the palms of your hands.
- Heat a grill or pan adding a little oil and place the arepas to cook. Let cook turning each side until slightly golden. Set aside when done.
- In a pan with medium heat cook the meat. Add the sliced mushrooms, Crema Mexicana, and Soy sauce and remove from heat. Stir in chopped parsley. Open each arepa with a knife and fill with meat and mushroom mixture. Serve immediately.