Asparagus Quiche with Ranchero® Queso Fresco
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium sized onion, sliced thinly
- 1 (2) pack pre-made pie shell dough at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 bunch of asparagus trimmed about 4 inches from the bottom
- 1 1/4 cups grated Cacique® Ranchero® Queso Fresco
HOW TO MAKE IT
- You will need a 9 inch spring form pan. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Take the pie shell dough and combine both of them together, kneading gently until you have a ball. Roll the dough into a circle large enough to fill the pan, making sure it doesn’t tear when you line the inside of the pan. Using your fingers, make sure the dough is snug against the sides of the pan.
- Place a piece of parchment paper into the pie shell and line with dried beans or dried macaroni pasta. Bake the crust in the oven for 20 minutes then take the paper lining out. Bake for a further 10 minutes and the base is golden brown. Decrease the oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
- In a small pan melt the butter. Add the sliced onion and cook until it just starts to turn brown. Set aside.
- Heat the milk and the cream until warm and small bubbles appear around the edge. Turn of the heat and let the milk mixture stand for 10 minutes.
- In a large pan, bring about 2 inches of water to a boil. Drop the asparagus into it and cook for 2-3 minutes. transfer the asparagus to a plate.
- In a blender, combine half of the milk mixture and 4 eggs. Blend for about 30 seconds then add the remaining eggs and milk mixture. Season with the salt and pepper. Blend for another 30 seconds until well combined.
- Place the onion in the base of the pie crust spreading it out evenly. Take 1/3 of the blanched asparagus and cut into 3. Lay the chopped asparagus on top of the onion. Add 1/2 cup of grated Queso Fresco next. Pour half of the liquid over the asparagus, cheese and onion. Add another 1/2 cup of cheese to the quiche followed by the rest of the liquid to just below the edge of the crust. Lay the rest of the asparagus gently on top of the liquid followed by a 1/4 cup of the cheese on top.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 2 hours. Let rest in the fridge overnight before slicing with a sharp knife.