Cacique® Cotija-Crusted Chicken Strips
WHAT YOU NEED
Chipotle Sour Cream
Cilantro Lime Sour Cream
Spicy Jalapeño Sour Cream
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed lengthwise into strips ½-inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil for cooking
- ½ Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 12-ounce package Cacique® Cotija, finely crumbled
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1½ teaspoons whole dried oregano leaves, preferably Mexican
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Cacique® Spicy Jalapeño, Chipotle and Cilantro Lime Sour Creams, for serving
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Sprinkle the chicken strips lightly with salt and pepper. Heat ¼ inch of vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat until it barely shimmers (about 250°F if you’re using a thermometer).
- Combine the Crema Mexicana and the mayonnaise in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl or on a plate, combine the Cotija, bread crumbs, lemon zest and the dried oregano leaves.
- Drag each chicken strip through the Crema Mexicana mixture, then through the dry Cotija mixture. Cook the chicken strips in batches in the hot oil, raising the heat a little, if necessary to keep at 250°F, for 3 to 4 minutes per side, turning once, until golden brown. Remove to a paper towel lined-plate and keep warm while you finish cooking the remaining chicken strips. Serve the hot chicken with lemon wedges to squeeze over, and Cacique Spicy Jalapeño, Chipotle and Cilantro Lime Sour Creams for dipping.