Carolina Brisket Tacos
WHAT YOU NEED
- RUB FOR BRISKET:
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 to 4 pounds), fat trimmed
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 packed tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried shallots
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 1 package (10oz.) Ranchero® Queso Fresco- crumbled
- 2 cups cabbage, finely shredded
- 5 limes, quartered
- ½ bunch cilantro finely chopped
- Pico de gallo salsa
- 20 corn tortillas, warmed
- SPECIAL EQUIPMENT:
- 3 cups hickory wood chips soaked in water 30 minutes
- Foil pan
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Allow the brisket to come to room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Combine the salt, sugar, shallots, garlic powder, smoked paprika and cayenne in a small bowl to make a dry rub. Massage the rub into all sides of the meat, being sure to use it all. Lay the brisket on a sheet pan.
- Light a grill on low heat on one side, keeping the other side turned off; you should maintain a temperature of 250 to 300 degrees F the whole time you are grilling. Place the hickory chips in a foil pan. Cover with foil and cut slits in the top to release the smoke. Place the foil pan on the lit side of the grill. Place the brisket fat-side up on the turned-off side of the grill and close the cover. Cook, flipping a few times, until very tender but not falling apart and the center reaches about 200 degrees F, about 4.5 hours (1 hour and 15 minutes per LB of brisket). Let rest 5 to 10 minutes. When cool enough to handle, shred meat with two forks.
- Using tongs, serve shredded brisket in warm tortillas. Add toppings as desired.
- Top with Crema Mexicana and serve with queso fresco, cabbage, lime wedges, cilantro, and pico de gallo.