Chile Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Crema Mexicana Sauce
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 1 package (10 oz.) Cacique® Queso Quesadilla, cut into 12 slices
- ½ cup Cacique® Manchego cheese, shredded
- 6 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to ½-inch thick
- 3 large Poblano chilies, roasted, peeled, seeded and cut into strips (about 1½ cups)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. ground cumin
- ½ Tbsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place chicken breasts in bowl with cilantro, cumin, cayenne, lemon, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Let chicken marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Lay chicken breasts out on counter and place 2 slices of cheese and a big spoonful of chilies onto each breast and roll up. Place seam side down in shallow baking dish and bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked. Keep warm in oven while sauce is being made.
- Place remaining chilies in blender or food processor with Dijon and flour. Puree. Bring stock to low simmer and stir in flour mixture, cook for 3 minutes. Add Crema Mexicana and cook for 3 more minutes then remove from heat. Stir in shredded Manchego cheese until just melted, season to taste and serve over chicken breasts immediately.
- This is a family favorite, a treasured recipe that has been passed down through the generations, straight from Maria's Cocina.