Chocolate and Cinnamon Bread Pudding
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 slices Italian bread, brioche or good quality white bread, sliced in ¼-inch slices
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 container Cacique® Crema Mexicana, divided
- 1 ¼ cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 ounces bitter sweet chocolate, chopped
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Spread butter on one side of each bread slice. Cut each slice in four pieces.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg yolks, and brown sugar. Add 1 ½ cups crema, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and sea salt, whisking to thoroughly combine.
- Arrange half the bread pieces as a single layer in a 9x13 oven safe dish. Sprinkle half the chocolate over first bread layer. Repeat with second layer, sprinkling remaining chocolate. Pour custard over bread, pressing bread gently to make sure custard is soaked up.
- Bake for 1 hour or until custard is set and bread is springy to the touch. Cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve and drizzle with remaining crema.