Chorizo and Potato Pepper Picadillo
WHAT YOU NEED
- ½ cup crumbled Cacique® Beef Chorizo or Cacique® Pork Chorizo
- 2 lb medium boiled potatoes, peeled
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 fresh jalapeño chiles, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, halved and cut lengthwise into ¼-inch wide strips
- 1 lb red bell peppers or Italian frying peppers, cut lengthwise into ¼-inch wide strips
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp. of cilantro, chopped
- 4 tortillas, corn or flour
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Make a crosswise cut through 1 potato. Take potato halves, cut side facing down, and then cut each half into 1/2-inch pieces. Repeat with remaining potatoes. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, saute potatoes with salt, turning occasionally, until browned and just cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer potatoes with a slotted spoon to a bowl, reserving oil in skillet.
- Add chiles to the skillet along with onion, peppers, and chorizo and reduce heat to moderate. Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened and chorizo is cooked through according to package instructions, about 5 minutes. Add stock and boil until reduced to about 1/4 cup, 3 to 4 minutes, then add pepper mixture and cilantro to potatoes along with salt and pepper to taste and toss well. Serve warm or at room temperature with tortillas.