Chorizo Stuffed Poblano Peppers
WHAT YOU NEED
- 4 medium poblano peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, for the skillet
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, for baking sheet
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced (10 oz.)
- 1/2 medium onion, diced (4 oz.)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt (not fine salt)
- 1 package Cacique® Pork Chorizo, broken down into crumbles
- 1 cup Cacique® Oaxaca, shredded
- 1 cup Cacique® Queso Fresco, crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and brush it with olive oil.
- Rinse and dry the poblanos. Cut a slit down the side of each pepper and remove the core and seeds. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tomatoes, onion, garlic, oregano, cumin and salt. Cook, stirring often, until liquids have evaporated, about 7 minutes. Off heat, stir in the Fully Cooked Premium Pork Chorizo, shredded Oaxaca and the cilantro, mixing well.
- Divide the filling among the peppers, adding it from the top and pressing on it to fill the entire pepper. Place the stuffed peppers on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until the poblanos are soft and charred in places, 20-30 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and switch the oven to broil. Top the peppers with crumbled Queso Fresco and broil just until the cheese is softened, about 2 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.