Churros with Chocolate Crema
WHAT YOU NEED
- FOR CHURROS
- 1 cup of water
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- Vegetable oil for frying
- FOR COATING
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup of sugar
- FOR CHOCOLATE CREMA
- 1 cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana or Crema Mexicana Agria
- 2 tablespoons powdered drinking chocolate mix
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Heat water in a small saucepan over medium heat, add first 4 ingredients. Whisk ingredients to combine and bring to a boil, remove from heat and immediately stir in flour until a smooth dough forms. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Combine cinnamon and sugar together in medium bowl and set aside.
- Add egg and vanilla to dough and mix with a spatula until well combined.
- Transfer dough to a thick pastry bag fitted with a large star piping tip.
- Line a serving plate with paper towels. Heat about 3 inches deep of oil in a medium pot to 350ºF. Gently drop a small piece of dough in oil. Oil will bubble over dough when oil is hot enough.
- Gently pipe 4-5 inches of dough in oil, you can use a knife or kitchen scissors to cut the dough at the tip. Pipe 4-5 at a time and fry churros in batches until golden brown. Remove churros with long-handled skimmer and transfer to paper towel-lined plate to drain for couple of minutes.
- Transfer churros to cinnamon sugar mixture and coat evenly. Serve with chocolate cream sauce.
- To make Chocolate Cream Sauce: Combine crema with chocolate powder. Stir until completely combined. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.