Cornbread Waffles with Chicken, Avocado, and Sweet & Spicy Crema
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 (10-ounce) package Cacique® Cotija cheese
- 1(10-ounce) package Cacique® Ranchero® Queso Fresco cheese
- 1 cooked rotisserie chicken
- 2 firm-ripe avocados
- 1 lime
- 6-8 cherry tomatoes
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 (8.5-ounce) box corn muffin mix
- Egg, milk and butter called for on the corn muffin mix package
- 1 (15-ounce) container Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha sauce (or more to your taste)
- 1 teaspoon honey
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Using your fingers, crumble a chunk of the cotija cheese into small pieces and set aside in a bowl. Do the same with the queso fresco and set aside in another bowl.
- Strip the meat off the rotisserie chicken, pulling it into chunks and either saving the bones to make stock some other time, or discarding the bones. Save the chicken chunks in a bowl and set aside.
- Peel and seed avocados and dice into small pieces into a bowl. Cut a wedge of lime and squeeze lime juice over avocado and stir gently so all pieces are coated. This will prevent avocado from oxidizing while you are working.
- Cut cherry tomatoes into quarters or eights, depending on how big they are. Wash, dry and chop half of the bunch of cilantro and place it in a bowl.
- Measure half a cup of crema in a 1-cup measure. Add chili powder, Sriracha and honey and stir well to combine. Set aside while you prepare the waffles. Line up all your bowls of toppings in assembly-line fashion.
- Heat waffle iron and mist with nonstick spray. Prepare corn muffin mix following package directions for waffles, not muffins. (You will no doubt add an egg, milk and some melted butter per the package.) When waffle iron is hot, make cornbread waffles, placing them on a plate or rack when each batch is done. Don't walk away or you'll burn them!
- Place a waffle onto each plate. Using your hands, sprinkle on some queso fresco. Pop the plate into the microwave for about 8 seconds to soften the cheese. Top with some chicken chunks, some avocado chunks, some tomato chunks and some cilantro. (Eyeball the amounts you like.) Drizzle with Sweet and Spicy Crema, or better yet, pass the crema it at the table so people can drizzle their own.