Cotija Whole Wheat Crackers
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup water, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup Cacique® Queso Cotija Grated Cheese
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and paprika; whisk until all dry ingredients have mixed well. Add butter and ¼ cup water and mix with a hand mixer until butter is mixed and chopped into small beads. Add the remaining ¼ cup water, vanilla and cheese and mix with hands until dough is smooth. Wet hands and knead if dough dries up.
- Roll out dough to 1/16-inch thick. Using a 2-inch cookie cutter, cut out 45-50 cookies from dough and gently poke with a small straw to make eyes and nose. Arrange cookie cutouts on parchment paper-lined trays.
- Bake crackers, one tray at a time 7-10 minutes or until they begin to slightly brown. Remove tray from oven and let cookies cool for 10 minutes. Enjoy or store in airtight sealed bag or container.