Fresh Corn, Jalapeno & Zucchini Cakes with Crema, Lime and Cilantro Dressing
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1 cup corn
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 1/2 cup Cacique® Grated Cotija
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- For the dressing:
- 1 cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove, minced
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a small bowl, stir together the Cacique®Crema Mexicana, chopped cilantro, lime zest and juice, and minced garlic. Add a pinch of salt and taste, adding more salt as needed. Set aside.
- In a colander or strainer, toss the shredded zucchini with 1 teaspoon of kosher salt. Set aside for 5 minutes to drain.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the scallions, corn, jalapeno and Cacique® Grated Cotija. Add the egg, flour, baking powder and pepper and mix to combine. Using your hands, lift handfuls of the zucchini from the strainer and squeeze to remove excess liquid. Stir the squeezed shredded zucchini into the batter, mixing just to combine.
- Line a serving platter with a couple layers of paper towel. In a skillet over medium heat, put several tablespoons of olive oil and swirl to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Dollop the batter into the oil with a spoon, about 3 tablespoons of the mixture for each cake. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until golden brown, then flip and continue cooking until golden brown, another 2 to 3 minutes. Remove to the paper towel-lined plate. Continue until all the batter is used, to make about 12 cakes. Serve with the Crema dressing.