Griddled Oaxaca Cheese Sandwiches With Ham & Fried Egg
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 thick slices crusty bakery bread, such from a sourdough boule
- 2 to 3 slices thin-cut deli ham
- 2 to 3 slices Cacique® Oaxaca Cheese
- Mexican hot sauce
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Put the butter in a skillet over medium heat. As soon as it sizzles, crack in the egg. Cook the egg over easy, for approximately 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
- While the egg is cooking, layer the ham and one slice of cheese on one slice of the bread. Add a few shakes of hot sauce. Using a spatula, lift the egg onto the cheese and place the remaining slice of cheese on top of it. Spread mayonnaise on one side of the remaining slice of bread and place on top of the egg, mayonnaise side out.
- Put the sandwich, mayonnaise side down, into the same skillet where you cooked the egg, over medium heat. Spread a little mayonnaise on the bottom of the sandwich. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until golden brown, then lift and flip carefully, to cook the other side spread with mayonnaise, for 1 to 2 minutes, until the bread is toasted golden brown and the cheese is melted. Carefully transfer to a plate and slice into quarters. The yolk should still be runny, to spread onto the plate and be dabbed up with the sandwich as you eat. Serve with additional hot sauce as desired.