Marinated Cacique® Oaxacan Cheese Salad, Caprese-Style
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 10-ounce package Cacique® Oaxaca Cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium red onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 fresh, ripe tomatoes
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Slice the cheese into pieces 1/2-inch thick.
- Put the oil, oregano, smoked paprika and black pepper in a medium bowl and whisk.
- Put the cheese in the bowl, turning it gently to coat. Cover and set aside for at least 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
- To make the pickled onions, put the onion, vinegar, salt and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, just until the onions soften. Set aside in a small bowl to cool, at least 30 minutes.
- To make the salad, slice the tomatoes thickly and arrange them on a serving dish alternating with slices of cheese. Drizzle with the marinade and top the whole salad with the pickled onions, lifting them out of their pickling juice. Serve with crusty bread.