Pan Seared Tilapia with Pork Chorizo & Tomato Cream Sauce
WHAT YOU NEED
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 1/2 large squash, diced
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 (9 ounce) package Cacique® Pork Chorizo
- 1 cup diced white onions
- 1 (8 ounce) can of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 4 whole tilapia fillets
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the red onions, squash, bell pepper and tomatoes and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables just start to soften. Add the chorizo, stir to combine, and continue to cook for about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Drain off any excess fat and reserve your chorizo stuffing.
- Meanwhile make your sauce: In a medium pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Sautee your onions until they just become translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in the tomato sauce and chicken stock and simmer for 2 minutes. Quickly whisk in Cacique® Crema Mexicana and turn off the heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pulse in a blender until smooth. Reserve.
- Just before serving, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet. Sear the tilapia on one side for about 3-4 minutes, until it browns slightly and is mostly cooked through. Flip and cook for 1 minute more before plating.
- To serve, divide the chorizo filling between 4 plates. Place the tilapia fillets over, and gently envelope the filling, as if you were stuffing it. Divide the tomato cream sauce between the plates by simply spooning it on the plate or ladling it over the tilapia.