Pomegranate Guacamole with Cotija Croutons
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 large Hass avocados
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup Cacique® Queso Cotija, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup oven-roasted tomatillos
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- juice of 1 lime, or more to taste
- 1/3 of a medium serrano chile, finely diced
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a frying pan or skillet over medium heat, heat canola oil until hot. Add the small cubed Queso Cotija and briefly fry each side of the cheese, turning gently with a fork when they start to brown. Brown on all sides. Remove from heat and transfer cheese to a paper towel-lined dish to drain any remaining oil. Set aside.
- On a hot comal or skillet, blister the tomatillos until they start to get black spots and change color. Remove from comal or skillet and gently crush in a molcajete or bowl with the crushed garlic and salt.
- Cut open the avocados and spoon into the molcajete or bowl. Squeeze the lime juice over the avocado and mash coarsely with a fork to incorporate the tomatillo mixture.
- Add half of the finely diced serrano chile, half of the pomegranate seeds and half of the cotija and gently mix to incorporate. Sprinkle the remaining cotija, pomegranate seeds and serrano chile over the top. Serve immediately with the tortilla chips of your choice.