WHAT YOU NEED
- 10 oz. Cacique® Longaniza Fresca (or substitute Cacique® Beef, Pork or Soy Chorizo)
- 2 lbs pork loin, cubed
- 32 oz vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 onion
- 6 California chilies, deveined
- 3 Puya chilies, deveined
- 3 garlic, cloves
- 3 cups hominy, rinsed and drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ head green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 small bunch radish, finely sliced
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 3 Hass avocados, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced *(if desired)
- 4 limes cut into wedges
- 1 cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 1 pkg. Cacique® Queso Fresco, crumbled
- Tostadas or tortillas to accompany
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a stock pot cook the Cacique® Longaniza Fresca according to package instructions. Add the pork loin, cook two minutes over medium heat until the pork is thoroughly bathed in the longazina spices. Add the onion half, vegetable broth, and water, cover and cook for 30 minutes at low-medium heat, remove the onion and discard. Set the stew aside.
- In a bowl, soak the deveined California and Puya chilies in hot water for 20 minutes. Place the softened chilies in a blender or food processor and add 1-1/2 cup of the soaking water, and garlic cloves. Blend until a puree texture.
- Pour this mixture through a strainer over the cooked Longaniza and pork stew, stir and taste, add salt and pepper to taste. Add the hominy and cook uncovered for about 15 more minutes at medium heat.
- Serve hot generous portions of the Pozole, garnish with the shredded cabbage, sliced radish, sliced avocado, red onion, a splash of lime, and a dash of oregano. If desired add minced jalapeño for heat. Traditionally this dish is enjoyed with a tostada or tortilla hand taco. To create the tostada- spread Crema Mexicana on a tostada shell, crumble queso fresco and enjoy with the Pozole. To form the taco- spread Crema Mexicana on the tortilla and sprinkle Cacique® Queso Fresco, roll and enjoy!