Savory Tortilla Soup with Crispy Tortillas, Queso Fresco & Crema
WHAT YOU NEED
- 4 oz. Cacique® Queso Fresco, crumbled
- 2 oz. Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tomatoes, washed
- 4 tomatillos, peeled and washed
- ½ cup yellow onion, small dice
- 1 Chile Guajillo, seeded and toasted
- 1 tsp. chipotle chile canned in adobo, minced
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. cumin
- 6 oz. corn tortilla chips
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 avocado, medium dice
- Cilantro sprigs
- Salt and pepper to taste
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a large soup pot, place olive oil over medium heat. Add tomatoes, tomatillos, onion, both chiles, garlic, oregano and cumin. Sauté for 15 minutes until soft.
- Add 5 ounces of the tortilla chips to the pot along with the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Once the soup is boiling, turn down to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the soup in a blender and blend until very smooth. Add the soup back to the soup pot and bring back to a simmer and check seasonings.
- For assembly: Pour about 6 ounces of soup in a bowl and garnish with the reserved tortilla chips, a drizzle of Cacique® Crema Mexicana, crumbles of Cacique® Queso Fresco, avocado and a sprig of cilantro.