Shrimp Enchiladas with Green Sauce & Queso Fresco
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ pounds medium raw shrimp, peeled (thawed if frozen)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 18 corn tortillas
- 1 10-ounce package Cacique® Queso Fresco, crumbled
- 1 cup shredded Cacique® Queso Quesadilla
- For the green sauce:
- 2 pounds tomatillos, husks removed
- 3 whole fresh jalapenos
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup Cacique® Crema Salvadoreña, plus more for serving
HOW TO MAKE IT
- To make the green sauce, preheat a broiler on high and line the broiler pan with foil. Lay the tomatillos, jalapenos and garlic on the foil in a single layer and broil, turning once or twice, until the skins are blackened and the tomatillos are very soft, about 10 minutes. Let rest until cool enough to handle.
- Remove the blackened skins from the tomatillos and jalapenos (you may want to wear rubber gloves). Discard the jalapeno seeds and stems. Squeeze the softened garlic out of the skins. Put all the roasted vegetables in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Put the olive oil in medium saucepan over medium heat and cook the onion for 4 to 5 minutes, until softened. Turn the heat to high and add the pureed tomatillo and the chopped cilantro. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce darkens slightly. Add the chicken stock and Crema Salvadoreña, bring to a boil, and then turn off the heat. Taste and add salt as needed.
- To make the enchiladas, preheat the oven to 350°F. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the shrimp, sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, just until the shrimp turn pink. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Soften the tortillas by wrapping them in a damp kitchen towel and microwaving them for 1 minute on high, until they are flexible. Pour a little of the green sauce in the bottom of a 9- by 13-inch baking dish. To make each enchilada, dip each tortilla in the green sauce and put 4 to 5 shrimp and a heaping tablespoon of Queso Fresco down the middle. Roll up and lay the enchilada seam-side down in the baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas to fill the dish in a single layer.
- Pour the remaining green sauce over the enchiladas. Top with the shredded Queso Quesadilla. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until bubbling. Serve with additional Crema Salvadoreña.