Southwest Green Chile Cheese Dog
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (2 to 3 limes)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- pinch of salt
- 6 New Mexico or Anaheim chiles
- 3 poblano chiles
- 2 green onions
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Small (tiny) pinch of cumin
- 10 of your favorite hot dogs (LONG)
- 10 Latin style bolillos, lobster roll buns
- Cacique® Oaxaca Cheese
- Cilantro for garnish
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Toss the onion slices in the orange and lime juice. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and let marinate while grilling the chiles.
- Grill the New Mexico and poblano chiles over a hot BBQ or under the broiler until the skins are blistered and charred. About 5 to 8 minutes on each side. Place the hot chiles in a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap so that the steam from the chiles will loosen the skins. When the chiles are cool, use a paper towel to remove the charred and blistered skins. Resist the urge to wash the chiles under running water, it will wash away some of the flavor of the chiles. Dice and set aside.
- Combine the vegetable oil, sliced green onions, minced cilantro, pinch of cumin, salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Pour the mixture over the diced chiles and mix so that the chiles are well coated. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper, if desired. Cover the chile mixture and set aside.
- Grill the hot dogs and warm the bolillos or buns. Cut a slice down the center of each bolillo, if necessary.
- To Serve, Place a grilled hot dog in the bun and cover with green chile mixture. Cut the slices of cheese in half and place down the center of the buns, covering the green chiles. Heat until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Drain the onions and place on top of the hot cheese. Garnish with cilantro.