Spicy Lentil & Chorizo Soup with Fried Tortilla Strips
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ounces Cacique Pork Chorizo
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- ¼ cup cilantro stems, minced
- 1 large Spanish onion, finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced fine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups red lentils, rinsed
- 1 X 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 6 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ cup Cacique Crema Mexicana
- ½ cup Cacique Ranchero Queso Fresco
- 1 thinly sliced jalapeño, for garnish
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 cups corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- Canola oil, for frying
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Heat a large stockpot over medium heat, and pour in the olive oil. When the oil is shimmering, add the chorizo and cook, stirring often, until browned. Remove the chorizo with a slotted spoon, leaving the oil and juices in the pot, and set aside.
- Add the jalapeño, cilantro stems, onion, and carrot, season with sea salt, and cook until softened, about 7 - 8 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and garlic, and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the lentils and cook for 1 minute, then add the chorizo back into the pot and pour in the tomatoes, stock, and smoked paprika. Season with a pinch of sea salt, and bring the soup to a simmer over medium heat. Cook, stirring every few minutes, until the soup is creamy, thickened, and the lentils are tender, about 35 - 40 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- While the soup is simmering away, prepare the fried tortillas. Heat 2-inches of canola oil in a saucepan over medium heat to 350 degrees F. When hot, and working in batches as necessary, fry the tortillas until crispy and golden brown. Season with sea salt.
- Divide your soup into individual serving bowls, then top with crispy tortillas and drizzle over the Crema Mexicana. Crumble the Ranchero Queso Fresco on top of each bowl, then garnish with sliced jalapeños and cilantro leaves. Serve immediately. Delicious!