Tomato Soup with Cotija Croutons and Oregano
WHAT YOU NEED
- ½ package (5 oz.) Cacique® Cotija, cubed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 cup 95% fat free ham, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 (14 oz.) can low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes. Add ham and cook for another 2 minutes, or until it starts to brown. Lower heat to medium and add garlic. Sauté for 1 more minute.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, oregano, and sugar. Stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place a skillet over medium heat and brown cheese cubes for 3-5 minutes, tossing frequently to prevent burning. Top soup with Cotija croutons before serving.
- To Freeze: You can make this soup ahead and freeze in an airtight container for up to 45 days (without the cheese croutons). The croutons should be made fresh when you reheat the soup.
- To Reheat: Thaw soup in refrigerator for 24 hours. Place in a pot, covered, over low heat until soup is hot. Make Cotija croutons while soup is heating.