Two Cheese and Chicken Empanadas
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup onion, finely diced
- 1 cup roasted (or boiled chicken leg), finely chopped
- ½ cup bell peppers, finely diced
- ½ cup Cacique® Asadero Cheese, grated
- ½ cup Ranchero® Queso Fresco, grated
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 12 disks masa for empanadas (or pie crust)
- 2 tablespoons Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- Tomatillo dressing
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add the onion and cook until lightly golden. Add the chicken and bell peppers, stirring well. Turn off the heat. Add the cheeses and cilantro, season with salt and pepper, stir and reserve. Cool to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the empanada disks in a cutting board or the counter. Fill with one tablespoon of the cheese - chicken filling. Fold the dough in half, and press the borders with your fingers or the tines of a fork. Put them in a baking tray lined with Silpat or parchment paper.
- Brush each empanada with Cacique® Crema Mexicana. Bake for 15 - 17 minutes or until golden. Serve warm with salsa and / or tomatillo dressing.