Tired of the old Mexican standard of red or green chile chilaquiles? Our Creamy Cilantro Chilaquiles will quickly become one of your family’s favorite breakfast dish for the weekend or any day. Who am I kidding? You’ll also crave these crunchy and cheesy bites for lunch and dinner.
I love the mild and buttery flavor of Cacique’s Crema Mexicana Agria. Blending the crema with cilantro, garlic, and serrano chile peppers took my average chilaquiles to a whole new level. Talk about depths of flavor and heat!
Chilaquiles are made with fried corn tortilla chips. We make our own, but feel free to cut down on the prep and cooking time by picking up a bag of unsalted tortilla chips. Mix in loads of the Cacique® Four Quesos Blend Shredded Cheese, a perfect combination of authentic, Mexican-style cheeses: Manchego, Oaxaca, Quesadilla and Asadero. Together they deliver a smooth, buttery richness that is perfect for this dish, and many others, such as enchiladas, chiles rellenos, omelets, soups, and even salads.
Some people stir in shredded chicken or scramble eggs into their chilaquiles. I prefer crumbling Cacique® Queso Fresco and placing a fried egg on top. Gently poke the yoke so that the yellow goodness oozes over the spicy and creamy chilaquiles.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- For the fried tortillas:
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 dozen 6-inch corn tortillas, cut into sixths, triangular in shape
- For the Creamy Cilantro Sauce:
- 6 tomatillos, husked and stemmed
- 6 serrano chile peppers, stemmed
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, stemmed
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15-ounce jar) Cacique® Crema Mexicana Agria
- ¼ cup Cacique® Four Quesos Blend Shredded Cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- For the Chilaquiles:
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 large white onion, peeled and sliced into half moons
- 1 package (8 ounces) Cacique® Four Quesos Blend Shredded Cheese
- 1 package (8 ounces) Cacique® Ranchero® Queso Fresco, crumbled
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced (garnish)
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Heat 1/2 cup of oil in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, fry tortilla segments until crisp, about 2 minutes per batch, flipping them after a minute. When crisp, drain on paper towels.
- Discard oil. Wipe the skillet clean with paper towels and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pot, add tomatillos, serrano peppers, and garlic and cover about an inch with water. Cook for about 20 minutes until the tomatillos are soft and drain the water.
- In a blender, add tomatillos, serrano peppers, garlic, shredded cheese, chicken bouillon, cilantro, and Cacique® Crema Mexicana Agria. Add salt and pepper. Blend on medium until ingredients are mixed well.
- Heat oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add white onions and cook until softened about 3 minutes. Stir in Creamy Cilantro Sauce and bring to a simmer. Add tortilla chips and gently mix in the sauce until well coated.
- Add the Cacique® Four Quesos Blend Shredded Cheese (8oz package) and mix well for another 2 minutes.
- Transfer chilaquiles to a warm serving platter, top with Cacique® Queso Fresco, red onions, and more Cacique® Crema Mexicana Agria.
- Serve with fried egg and refried beans.