Oh my, oh my! Have I got a delicious recipe for you. In honor of my mother, who taught me how to make it and loves it herself, and just in time for Mother’s Day, I wanted to share this very special dish with you. It is warm and comforting, just like my Mami, and it is incredibly delicious.
I call it Tortilla Lasagna, because it is layered with all kinds of delicious things, and, now don’t discount this often overlooked benefit, it’s even better the second day, just like lasagna. All of those wonderful ingredients blend together and it’s just heaven. It is a cousin of another dish we call Budin Azteca. Consider making it a day early to let all those flavors marry up beautifully, the way they do.
Whatever you call her, Mom, Mama, Mother, Ma, or Mami, she’s something special, and if you are lucky enough to be near her this Mother’s Day, why not consider making this for her. It’s very easy!
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 package of Cacique® Pork Chorizo
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 chile chipotle in adobo, seeded and finely chopped
- 5 T canola oil
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 Cacique® Ranchero® Queso Fresco, crumbled
- 1 cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana Agria
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Heat olive oil in a deep pot and cook the onions until soft and translucent, approx 4 minutes. Add green peppers and cook for 6 additional minutes. Remove onion and pepper and set aside in a dish. Heat the pot again and fry chorizo for 5 minutes.
- Add the onions and peppers back to the chorizo and cook at medium heat for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, shredded chicken, chicken broth and chile chipotle to the chorizo mixture and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Turn the heat off and let it rest.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- Meanwhile heat canola oil in a pan and using a pair of tongs submerge a tortilla in the hot oil for a few seconds until it is soft but not fried. Repeat until you finish with all 12 tortillas.
- Cover the bottom of a 2 Qt capacity round glass baking dish with 4 tortillas (you can use a square baking dish if you like). This first layer will cover a little bit of the sides of the dish and that’s fine. Add half of the meat-chorizo mixture, sprinkle one third of the cheese and cream. Add another layer of 4 tortillas, and layer the rest of the meat, one-third of the cheese and one-third of the cream. Cover with the last 4 tortillas, add spread the remaining cream on top and finish with a layer of cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, let it cool down for 10 minutes, and serve with a green salad.