I am asked the same question at least once a month, “What is your favorite Mexican dish?” And I always answer the same, “Enchiladas”. I love enchiladas. When I’m craving home or missing my mom it’s usually enchiladas I desire. These roasted green chile chilaquiles are inspired from my mother’s famous green enchiladas.
Three ingredients make this sauce unique — Cacique® Crema Mexicana, buttermilk, and slow-roasted long green chiles. The creamy combination with roasted green chiles gives this sauce its one-of-a-kind sabor. This sauce not only makes delicious enchiladas but it also makes tasty chilaquiles.
The key to unforgettable chilaquiles is to fry the corn tortilla pieces. The fried tortilla is usually a little crunchy, which is a nice change from its cousin the enchilada. Then smother the tortilla pieces with this creamy and spicy chile sauce, and top with shredded Cacique® Oaxaca Cheese.
These chilaquiles are perfect as is, but to really take this dish over the top, serve them with an over-easy egg. The luscious yolk running down the stack of chilaquiles combined with crumbled Ranchero® Queso Fresco gives this dish a unique flavor.
Breakfast in bed is a wonderful way to honor mom. These chilaquiles are the perfect recipe for Mother’s Day breakfast or brunch. Keep things simple and prepare the sauce the night before. Simply refrigerate overnight and make chilaquiles on Mother’s Day. Just add a generous amount of amor to this dish, and you can’t go wrong.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 6 Anaheim chiles, roasted and peeled
- 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup shredded Cacique® Oaxaca Cheese
- 1⁄3 cup diced red onions
- 2 to 3 eggs, cooked any style
- 1/2 cup crumbled Ranchero® Queso Fresco
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a blender combine the roasted and peeled chiles, flour, crema, buttermilk, salt, garlic powder, and water and blend until creamy.
- Pour mixture into large skillet and set over medium-low heat to warm. If the sauce is too thick, add more water until desired consistency is reached.
- Cut corn tortillas into quarters. In a large skillet heat oil and fry corn tortilla pieces until crunchy. Lower heat to low. Add 2 cups of sauce and mix only long enough to coat all the tortillas. Top with cheese while still over low flame and cook just long enough for cheese to melt.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with onions. Serve with eggs any style and top with crumbled queso fresco.