Nothing beats the smell of grilling outdoors on warm, sunny days, and we have a lot of both in Los Angeles. Between carne asadas, BBQs, cookouts, and picnics, dining alfresco can leave Angelinos feeling bored of the same menu. How do we bust out of the routine to get our tardeada-mojo back? Spicing up the menu is the #1 priority in our casa, and that starts with Cacique® Soy Chorizo. Turn on your grills and welcome to flavor-town!
Cacique® Soy Chorizo is packed with a special blend of spices and herbs, just like the Cacique® beef and pork chorizos. I bet you won’t even tell the difference! We’ve combined this new Cacique® Soy Chorizo with ground turkey. Let’s face it, lean turkey can often lead to dry burgers, but Cacique® Soy Chorizo brings all that bold spice and moisture for a simple, yet extremely flavorful burger.
We’ve also topped the burger with a creamy red cabbage slaw that is refreshing from the heat of the turkey burger. The slaw is made with another one of our Cacique® favorites, Crema Mexicana. The buttery crema is a natural sidekick for tacos, tostadas, gorditas, sopes, and now the fresh taste of milky cream is paired with a great American staple: the hamburger. Drizzle your crema? The recipe for our creamy slaw with Cacique® Crema Mexicana doesn’t drizzle – it sparkles, shimmers and soars beyond boring cookout condiments. A bit of grilled pineapple is all you need to really stun your friends and family’s taste buds.
Cacique® offers a variety of products to pepper throughout your backyard entertaining this Cinco de Mayo. Stock some Cacique® Yogurt Smoothies for the kids, sear some Queso Fresco on the grill too, stuff your burgers with Manchego or Queso Quesadilla, sprinkle some Queso Blanco onto a salad and don’t forget to crumble some Panela or Cotija onto pretty much everything else. Keep your friends and family near this Cinco de Mayo weekend and enjoy the outdoors!
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Where to Buy‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- ¼ medium yellow onion, small dice
- 1 large egg
- 1 (9 oz.) package Cacique® Soy Chorizo
- 1 pound ground turkey
- ½ cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 2 teaspoons organic agave syrup
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 1/3 cup shredded carrots
- 1 serrano, stemmed and minced
- Optional: pineapple slices to grill
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat grill.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the onion, egg, Cacique® Soy Chorizo and turkey, until just combined. (You don’t want to over work the meat to avoid the patty from getting mushy.) Form four (4) equal sized patties and allow to chill for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile make your slaw: in a small bowl mix the Cacique® Crema Mexicana, lime zest and juice, agave, salt and pepper.
- In a larger bowl gently toss the cabbage and carrots with the seasoned cream just enough to fully coat.
- Refrigerate until ready to use. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill burgers until cooked through, about 8-10 minutes total. It’s crucial to allow the burger time to cook on one side before flipping it over. Too much fussing can lead to broken patties and broken dreams with bits of the burger on the bottom of your grill. Building your burger: place the Soy Chorizo Turkey patty on a bun. Top with slices of grilled pineapple and a heaping spoonful of creamy slaw.